The first time I travelled hand luggage only was for a long weekend in Paris. My recent trip to Barcelona was for one week. I can clearly see the benefits of hand luggage only. The more I do it, the more I like it!
5 Benefits of Travelling Hand Luggage Only
- No bags to check in, so you can miss the massive queues at the check-in desk and head straight for security.
- No waiting around by the carousel at your destination. Head straight out into that new city and explore.
- No risk of your checked bag going missing or ending up at a different destination.
- Cheaper flights with certain low cost airlines. Both Ryanair and EasyJet charge an extra payment (£25) to check a bag in. If you check a bag in for both your outbound and return flights, that may add at least another £50 pounds to the cost of your light.
- Packing light means easier and simpler travel. You will have less to carry and less to worry about.
Remember to Check your Baggage Allowance!
When travelling by plane, it is extremely important to check your baggage allowance and the terms and conditions of your booking. Make sure that you know the maximum weight and dimensions for hand luggage that is allowed with you ticket and airline.
Ryanair actually now do allow a handbag or shopping bag as well as your cabin bag. The dimensions allowed for hand luggage are one cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms may be carried per passenger (true at the time of writing on 3/11/15), For more information on their hang luggage allowance, click here.
Also check the regulations of what you are allowed to carry onto a plane. For example, flammable aerosols or army knives will not be allowed. Liquids over 100ml will not be allowed, and your toiletries (also under 100ml) must all fit into a clear ziplock bag of 20cm x 20cm.
Cabin Bags Suitable for Hand Luggage
I found this World Traveller flight approved backpack (£19.99), which is light weight and fits the current dimensions for cabin baggage with Ryanair and Easyjet.
If you want something with wheels, go for this Aerolite Hand Luggage (55 cm, 34 Litres from £16.99) from the London Collection. It fits in with the hand luggage dimensions and comes in a variety of colours including Black, Aqua, Royal Blue and Red.
The Future of Travelling Hand Luggage Only
Due to globalisation, many more people are going to be commuting and doing business abroad. An increasing number of students and young families are taking long weekends away in Europe. My prediction is that with this in mind, we are likely to see an increase in the number of people travelling hand luggage only.
I feel that the benefits of travelling hand luggage only mean that in the future, I may be travelling this way for a two or three week trip. I am considering this for my two week trip to Serbia in February 2016 because of the benefits to travelling simply and packing light.
Have you ever travelled hand luggage only? If so, please leave a comment. If not, do try it – you might be pleasantly surprised by how little you actually need 😉